The Philothean Fellowship Collection, 1947-1961 consists of access and original copies of scrapbooks and notebooks kept by members of the Fuller Theological Seminary student wives’ group, the Philothean Fellowship. The scrapbooks include photographs, postcard invitations to Seminary social events and lectures, Fuller Seminary convocation and commencement brochures, and the newsletter The Broadcaster.
The Philothean Fellowship was an organization initiated by Grace Payton Fuller and Mary Jane Smith for the training, community, and spiritual growth of the women at Fuller Theological Seminary. The original community in 1947 consisted of student, staff, and faculty wives, and grew to include all women of the Seminary staff and student body by the 1960s. The group stayed active until 1974-1975, when its name transitioned to the “Women’s Institute” (1974-1980), and the Office of Women's Concerns opened to monitor all programs and decisions concerning female staff, students, and faculty of Fuller Seminary in 1976.
Subsequent support groups for Fuller student spouses included a steering committee (1980-1993), FOCUS (1990-1999), Fuller Wives Fellowship (1993), SUPPORT (1994-c.2015), and CONNECT (c.2015 - ).
Material is property of Fuller Theological Seminary. Scholarly use permitted within parameters of copyright law.
Fuller Seminary Archives and Special Collections and Fuller, Grace Payton, "COLLECTION 0137: Philothean Fellowship Collection, 1947-1961" (2019). List of Archival Collections. 161.